Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Poll

Will you lend again via Prosper knowing what you know now?

Yes
- 22 (13.5%)
Maybe
- 26 (16%)
No
- 115 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Will you lend again via Prosper?  (Read 34258 times)

mothandrust

• View Profile
Re: Will you lend again via Prosper?
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2009, 03:39:40 am »

Speaking of promises, this time lenders are being asking to lend to Prosper which in turn will lend money to the borrower.

So you get a promise that someone will pay Prosper who will in turn pay you.

Where do I get a copy of Prosper's audited financial statements for the last 5 years to see whether Prosper is likely to make good on its promise to pay?

"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2009, 07:40:01 am »

prosper has some very talented people with great ideas but I dont think they take their lenders serious enough.

Talented maybe. So was Al Capone. And Bernie Madoff.  etc.

These guys have approximately the identical code of ethics.  And I think they are a really piss-poor advertisement for Stanford.  (And Virginia, or wherever "dr." Fuller is from.)
I have the technical and graphic artist people in mind like Andrew.

It's long been my stated view that Andrew was Prosper's most competent and ethical employee (and maybe the only one).  Unfortunately, there's no evidence that Prosper higher-ups care what he says or promises.  Don't forget, we're all still waiting for Prosper to make good on Andrew's March 2007 promise to "find a way" to use late blenders' loan portfolios to repay their own late loans. 
Im willing to bet that whatever success you think prosper has, it can be attributed to underlings that you dont hear very much from or about. It's unfortunate that management dropped the ball.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

Beerbud1

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2009, 07:48:49 am »

prosper has some very talented people with great ideas but I dont think they take their lenders serious enough.

Talented maybe. So was Al Capone. And Bernie Madoff.  etc.

These guys have approximately the identical code of ethics.  And I think they are a really piss-poor advertisement for Stanford.  (And Virginia, or wherever "dr." Fuller is from.)
I have the technical and graphic artist people in mind like Andrew.

It's long been my stated view that Andrew was Prosper's most competent and ethical employee (and maybe the only one).  Unfortunately, there's no evidence that Prosper higher-ups care what he says or promises.  Don't forget, we're all still waiting for Prosper to make good on Andrew's March 2007 promise to "find a way" to use late blenders' loan portfolios to repay their own late loans. 
Yeah That's not going to happen from what I can see. I have a couple of "blenders" that have been charged off. And no there not making "pcoct" payments.

PPT

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 10:09:31 am »

I still really don't understand what the draw is to being a lender on on Prosper.  Never did.  In fact, I'm amazed how many people have voted that they'll lend again.

I've never had faith that p2p could work in America.  What am I missing that these lenders are seeing?  The returns might look great but when you consider the risk involved you might as well keep your money sitting in the bank.

God-Father

• Pay up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 10:16:43 am »

I still really don't understand what the draw is to being a lender on on Prosper.  Never did.  In fact, I'm amazed how many people have voted that they'll lend again.

I've never had faith that p2p could work in America.  What am I missing that these lenders are seeing?  The returns might look great but when you consider the risk involved you might as well keep your money sitting in the bank.
It is legalized internet gambling.  It just takes a very long time for the dice to stop tumbling.

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 10:46:33 am »

I think it opened many naive eyes. The altruistic element of P2P lending was inviting, but I came away more cynical about people than when I began.

I find the whole idea of community pressure to make people pay laughable now. Some people could care less about dignity when given then chance to run off with a few bucks.

you're

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 10:53:26 am »

I find the whole idea of community pressure to make people pay laughable now.

It still works in Hawaii  :ninja:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Chamatrain

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2009, 12:09:17 pm »

I find the whole idea of community pressure to make people pay laughable now. Some people could care less about dignity when given then chance to run off with a few bucks.

Yeah. The little guy is just like the Wall Street CEO -- crooked.  It reminds me of business on the African continent where my family had some experience.  You have to add 20%-50% to any cost you are expecting.  To account for the "customary share" for anybody that touches your import or export.

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2009, 12:33:04 pm »

I really can't believe that there are 21 people here who plan to lend again, and 22 more who are considering it.  Given all we know here, that is simply moronic.  Whether or not P2P in general could work, Prosper has proved itself beyond a reasonable doubt to be wholly incapable of making it work.  Moreover, Prosper is so clearly anti-lender, that IMHO you would have to have rocks in your head to continue to lend on Prosper -- and that is even more true given the new reality that you don't even own the loans anymore.  Instead, lenders are simply unsecured creditors of Prosper -- a company that will probably be out of cash by the end of the year unless the VC throw more good money after bad.

Loan_shark_74

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2009, 12:35:47 pm »

I really can't believe that there are 21 people here who plan to lend again, and 22 more who are considering it.  Given all we know here, that is simply moronic.  Whether or not P2P in general could work, Prosper has proved itself beyond a reasonable doubt to be wholly incapable of making it work.  Moreover, Prosper is so clearly anti-lender, that IMHO you would have to have rocks in your head to continue to lend on Prosper -- and that is even more true given the new reality that you don't even own the loans anymore.  Instead, lenders are simply unsecured creditors of Prosper -- a company that will probably be out of cash by the end of the year unless the VC throw more good money after bad.
It does not allow us to change our vote.  ;)

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2009, 12:38:59 pm »

I think it opened many naive eyes. The altruistic element of P2P lending was inviting, but I came away more cynical about people than when I began.

The SEC should make Prosper print the CB thread in its Prospectus -- that should be required reading for any prospective Prosper lenders.

czach

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2009, 01:18:54 pm »

Note that the question said "will you lend again" and not "will you lend any *real* money again"

I have said in the past that Prosper is like playing Blackjack. Nowadays I say it's a bit more like craps with visits to the box man. The reason being that Prosper is entertainment. You don't go to the craps tables to make money, you go to meet people, have fun, and enjoy the experience, stories, and overall camaraderie.

You don't go to the "Pai Gow" or "Let it ride" tables because those are obvious rip-offs. You go to the place where you're not going to win a lot, not going to lose a lot, and you will be with people who have similar expectations. It's fun.

That's why I would continue to lend, continue to read the assinie stories in the loan requests, and why I would continue to hang around here.

CZ

Senator

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 04:47:49 pm »

Where do I get a copy of Prosper's audited financial statements for the last 5 years to see whether Prosper is likely to make good on its promise to pay?
Arthur Anderson
Stats as of 12/29/2010:
Total withdrawals: $3,488.87 minus (-) Total deposits: $3,600.00 = ($111.13)
Cash balance: $0
Principal value of active notes:  $0
Total active notes: 0 of 70.

Successful loans are made to persons who are on a clear path to financial stability. -Mjerryfirst May 18th, 2008.

I know that when I make my 10% those "unbelievers" will call it luck cause that will be the easiest way to excuse their mistakes. -Researchpro May 5th, 2009.

It's a great time to be poor and irresponsible in America. -PPT May 2009

Mark12547

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 10:40:05 pm »

Prosper and worked as best they could to take "community" out of "community pressure" by removing PII, first from the listings, and later removing it from what the Group Leaders have available. The result: we have stranger-to-stranger lending over the Internet, not any community-based real-person-to-real-person-I-know-you lending.

Where people are allowed to be anonymous (such as borrowing on Prosper), there is no community pressure, and the only two things causing people to pay back are their Experian credit report (which they might or might not care about) and their conscience (and what people do in private is what tells us about their character, and for all tends and purposes borrowers are forced into more and more privacy thanks to Prosper).

Prosper will have to prove they have changed before I invest gamble more money with them.  >:(
Free! I am free from Prosper!

barnacle1

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2009, 03:02:28 am »

I have a better question to pose. Is HighFired3000F yet another sock of JZ? And no, I won't be sending any money to prosper.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up