Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Prosper performance statistics gone  (Read 19645 times)

Fred93

• View Profile
Prosper performance statistics gone
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:57:19 pm »

At the maintenance period on May 3, 2010, Prosper removed the performance statistics from their web site.  The page is still there, http://www.prosper.com/invest/performance.aspx but it now displays "Marketplace data temporarily unavailable."

Someone posted a question of when this would be repaired on the official prosper blog.  The official answer was posted "The performance page will be live again… we’re working on integrating the marketplace performance page with the new servicing platform."  ...an answer which seems to avoid the issue of "when".

This is reminiscent of the situation in late 2008, when Prosper removed the collection statistics from their web pages, with the explanation that they were corrupted by a software bug in their interface with Amsher.  Their position at that time was that the software would soon be repaired, and the status would reappear.  The stats never reappeared.

Seems to me that there is a very real possibility that the performance statistics will not return.

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
Re: Prosper performance statistics gone
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:07:33 pm »

maybe they will hide the stats somewhere and then remove them altogether later after observing that noone reads them
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

312lender

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:03:51 am »

Whats the point of taking away the marketplace performance?

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:06:18 am »

The numbers were already so tainted that there wasn't much point in keeping it.

But this action does follow Prosper's tradition of hiding and burying anything that might smell like marketplace "transparency".

Without the numbers, only suckers are gonna sign up.  Which probably suits Prosper just fine.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 12:17:37 am »

If Prosper's hope of success is going viral - what woud you do?

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 12:24:11 am »

Are you kidding?  You don't think that Prosper would love to hide all the evidence of the terrible performance of Prosper loans?  Next to go will be the data downloads and API that the third-party stats sites like Eric's need.  Once there is no public data available about loan or lender performance, then Prosper will be able to trot out its misleading or false numbers without rebuttal.

312lender

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 12:37:37 am »

why would they want to hide their recent successes in 3.0 loans?

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 12:54:00 am »

Because "it's different this time" only goes so far, and the performance of Prosper 1.0 loans (which are the vast majority of Prosper's originations) is so bad that it (rightfully) scares lenders off.  Moreover, the 3.0 loans will also go south as they age, although not as fast or as far as the 1.0 loans.

TotoMMB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 02:51:31 am »

Next to go will be any specifics on a loan.

Loan amount: ??
Interest: ??
Member Id: ??

Hmmmm, I'll lend them $25. ProsperFAIL.com.

God-Father

• Pay up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 03:50:27 am »

At the maintenance period on May 3, 2010, Prosper removed the performance statistics from their web site.  The page is still there, http://www.prosper.com/invest/performance.aspx but it now displays "Marketplace data temporarily unavailable."

Someone posted a question of when this would be repaired on the official prosper blog.  The official answer was posted "The performance page will be live again… we’re working on integrating the marketplace performance page with the new servicing platform."  ...an answer which seems to avoid the issue of "when".

So what is the "new servicing platform"?

I bet that only 3.0 loan data will be available when it comes back.

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 07:18:54 am »

In reality, I'm surprised they hadn't separated out the performance statistics into two separate pages. One for 1.0 and 2.0 loans and one for 3.0 loans.

Nominate for The Lobby.

baeventures

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 07:58:25 am »

(which are the vast majority of Prosper's originations)

When did 1.0 end? I'm curious to see the data showing the majority of the loan originations during that time as I thought a good portion had been made during 2.0...Data?

But this action does follow Prosper's tradition of hiding and burying anything that might smell like marketplace "transparency".

Without the numbers, only suckers are gonna sign up.  Which probably suits Prosper just fine.

What do you mean by the numbers were already so tainted? The numbers are the numbers, despite how Prosper may calculate and advertise them, IE, annualized ROI, etc, the fact is the numbers could be worked by anyone to determine a realistic expectation.

BAEVentures

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 08:04:29 am »

When did 1.0 end? I'm curious to see the data showing the majority of the loan originations during that time as I thought a good portion had been made during 2.0...Data?

Prosper 1.0 ended when the SEC shut them down.
Prosper 2.0 was the very short time when they tried to go around the SEC and opened as a California Only company.
Prosper 3.0 is since SEC approval.

What do you mean by the numbers were already so tainted? The numbers are the numbers, despite how Prosper may calculate and advertise them, IE, annualized ROI, etc, the fact is the numbers could be worked by anyone to determine a realistic expectation.

BAEVentures

The performance statistics are tainted by several things. The two most egregious examples are that Prosper keeps re-defining what the different credit grades are, so you can't see how all old C's performed as almost all of them are currently classified as HR, and the fact that Prosper has knowingly removed loans from the data because they were "repurchased" even though Prosper didn't make the lenders on those loans whole.

baeventures

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 08:16:09 am »

Prosper 1.0 ended when the SEC shut them down.
Prosper 2.0 was the very short time when they tried to go around the SEC and opened as a California Only company.
Prosper 3.0 is since SEC approval.

BAEVentures

The performance statistics are tainted by several things. The two most egregious examples are that Prosper keeps re-defining what the different credit grades are, so you can't see how all old C's performed as almost all of them are currently classified as HR, and the fact that Prosper has knowingly removed loans from the data because they were "repurchased" even though Prosper didn't make the lenders on those loans whole.

Excellent on the 1.0 vs 2.0 and 3.0 data then. I guess I started lending during 1.0 without knowing it =).

In terms of Prosper continuously changing the "credit grade" data, I see this as something that Prosper viewed as 100% necessary in order to sustain growth. Not only did they adjust their rating system, change the labeling and criteria of their rating system, but they also adjusted the minimum requirements to become a borrower. Adjusting those requirements forces an adjustment in their rating system.

Given that the details of how they rate borrowers has always been proprietary (which I don't necessarily agree with), I never thought the Prosper ratings held much weight anyways (except for the first few days I was lending and absolutely clueless). I know that all of my extensive analysis of Prosper loans as well as most other intelligent lenders, was typically performed with no regard to "Prosper Ratings" and "Prosper Credit Grades" as they were unproven and held no water, instead, I would think that most of us viewed credit data, and picked our loans primarily by FICO score range as well as other details.

In terms of the deleted/removed loans, that was a total of what, 60 loans? While I will agree that is "tampering" when compared to the 32,917 loans originated, it is hardly relevant. I was not a part of any of that so never took much interest, but my understanding was that Prosper repurchased those notes, but at a deep discount, resulting in a minimal amount of principal being returned to the lenders? Perhaps they felt that since these loans were re-purchased, and that their overall data didn't have a way to account for that, they would rather have them removed than corrupt the other data.

Just my 2 cents.

BAEVentures

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 08:25:07 am »

The performance page provides lenders with a way to verify Prosper's own ratings and predictions.

I'm not surprised that Prosper wants to bury that information. 
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up