Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Have Been Suspended by Prosper - for the Simple Fact of *Existing*  (Read 136517 times)

Mercurio

• View Profile
Re: I Have Been Suspended by Prosper - for the Simple Fact of *Existing*
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2008, 02:13:21 am »

Was Prosper down for an update about that time?   I recall seeing a notice a while ago that they were going down for an update; but I don't recall the precise time.

I have a different theory.   It's based on the premise that people are naturally lazy and websites often rely on software to enforce policy when they can. 

I think they realized -- to their chagrin -- that searching for "prosper.org" was letting the address through when written with a $.   So I think they created a search to look for any chain of characters that contained "prosper" but which was not "prosper.com." 

Perhaps he is not really suspended.  Perhaps their modified software poofed his member page and then sent him an automatic email, telling he was suspended.   Perhaps they goofed, characterizing his account as suspended when all they really did was remove his member page -- not an impossibility considering their past record of goof-ups and mischaracterizations. 

fredbear

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2008, 09:03:18 am »

Perhaps he is not really suspended.  Perhaps their modified software poofed his member page and then sent him an automatic email, telling he was suspended.   Perhaps they goofed, characterizing his account as suspended when all they really did was remove his member page -- not an impossibility considering their past record of goof-ups and mischaracterizations.

Mercurio, you're straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel, here.

Mercurio

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2008, 10:21:23 am »

Mercurio, you're straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel, here.
I do not know everything about this situation.   This snafu could be the result of either incompetence or spite for all I know.  I cannot exclude either alternative; so I don't assume it was  personally motivated.   

It may depend on what Epictetus meant when he said he could still access Prosper's forum.   One can see the main pages but cannot read the threads unless signed in.   If he can sign in and read the threads, he must still be not be suspended entirely.   If he can sign in, I wonder if he could make it through the first stages of bidding?   I'd bet he could.  In this particular case, I'm betting Prosper is being incompetent and deleting or hiding anyone's member page that contains forbidden links. 

Clearly, Prosper cannot totally suspend  the accounts of people when they still have funds in Prosper.  That is an obvious misstatement.   They'd be in legal difficulties if they did that.  The most they can do is deny access to certain pages or links.  They could remove the ability of a member to bid, etc., but they can't be suspending the accounts totally.   

The email notification is  written imprecisely.  (That is no big surprise, is it?) They could suspend the ability to perform some functions; but as long as Prosper has funds that belongs to him, they cannot suspend his account totally. 

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2008, 12:51:31 pm »

It may depend on what Epictetus meant when he said he could still access Prosper's forum.   One can see the main pages but cannot read the threads unless signed in.   If he can sign in and read the threads, he must still be not be suspended entirely.   If he can sign in, I wonder if he could make it through the first stages of bidding?   I'd bet he could.  In this particular case, I'm betting Prosper is being incompetent and deleting or hiding anyone's member page that contains forbidden links. 

It is ver apparent when you are suspended.  Immediately after logging in, you get the following prominent notice:
Account Suspended
Your Prosper account has been suspended. You will still be able to transfer any funds you may have out of your Prosper account and make payments on loans. However, any standing orders, scheduled transfers, or listings you may have created have been cancelled and your access to most other features will be limited. Please contact customer support if you have further questions. 

And the above quote really doesn't do the notice justice.  On Prosper, the text is all in red type, in a box with a yellow background, and the "Account Suspended" is in a large font.  It is pretty much impossible to miss. 

Clearly, Prosper cannot totally suspend  the accounts of people when they still have funds in Prosper.  That is an obvious misstatement.   They'd be in legal difficulties if they did that.  The most they can do is deny access to certain pages or links.  They could remove the ability of a member to bid, etc., but they can't be suspending the accounts totally.   

The email notification is  written imprecisely.  (That is no big surprise, is it?) They could suspend the ability to perform some functions; but as long as Prosper has funds that belongs to him, they cannot suspend his account totally.

It appears that there are 2 levels of Prosper suspensions.  The most common (which I have, along with Cubbies, Lep, and others here), allows us to log in, check on our loans (except we cannot see extended credit data), intitiate transfers out, and read PM's.  We cannot bid, transfer money in, or send PM's.  I also cannot access Prosper's forums, although that might be a separate suspension, since I was banned from the old .com forums at the same time I was banned from Prosper. 

There is also another level of suspension that applies to FAN and perhaps a few others.  Under that type of suspension, apparently there is no access at all to Prosper.com; Prosper sets up an automatic bi-weekly transfer out of the lender's funds.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:10:14 pm by ira01 »
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

traveler505

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2008, 01:02:17 pm »

I am not sure that the second level of suspension (still) exists.  FAN's GL appeared in the old .com forums to complain that her automatic withdrawals were not being made, and IIRC, Prosper_Somebody told her that she could log in and initiate the withdrawals herself.

There is, however, a third level of suspension, which applies to borrowers who are suspected of fraud (or otherwise fail the verification process).  That is an account suspension, rather than a functional suspension, and the member profiles for those members are deleted entirely, not just purged of content.

I suspect that Epic's suspension was a suspension of his lender functionality (as was yours).  Since he was also registered as a borrower, he might also have lost that functionality.
"Trav, you can always take up another hobby..." -- BigGulp

Now blogging at http://blog.traveler505.com, home of the MNH Reports and other commentary on Prosper.com and P2P lending in general.

Need Help with Credit Repair & Rebuilding?  Try CreditBoards.com.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up