Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Defaulted borrower wants to pay?  (Read 14304 times)

zcommodore

• View Profile
Defaulted borrower wants to pay?
« on: March 17, 2008, 02:03:47 pm »

A thread in the borrower's forum on .com was just pointed out on IRC.  Here's a link to the thread:
https://connect.prosper.com/t/2214.aspx

dogdays777 says:
I am so sorry I defaulted but I have the 10k to pay my loan in full...can someone help me to get this paid?

The loan in question: http://www.prosper.com/lend/listing.aspx?listingID=37340
Status history on ericscc.com: http://www.ericscc.com/listings/37340

So, does Prosper have any interest in finding a way for the borrower to pay?
Are the JDB people having more luck getting payments than Prosper's own collection agencies?

A clueless newb on the .com forums said she should contact her GL but most here know that HiMax isn't going to be much help.  Any other thoughts?

Mtnchick

• View Profile
Re: Defaulted borrower wants to pay?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 02:12:39 pm »

Wow, that was something I actually would have bid on back in the day (and I'm surprised I didn't). Looks like she stopped paying just a few months after the loan funded and it was almost a year later that it was sold to a JDB.

I don't know the legal aspects (x? ira?) but IIRC, once it's sold it's out of P-----r's hands. I have my doubts on if she's serious or has realized that she's taken a hit on her credit report when she probably didn't think she would.
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 02:14:46 pm »

She can pay if she wants.  She just needs to contact the debt buyer and tell them she's ready, willing and able, and they will take any form of payment she wants to give.  They're quite flexible.

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 02:18:45 pm »

A thread in the borrower's forum on .com was just pointed out on IRC.  Here's a link to the thread:
https://connect.prosper.com/t/2214.aspx

dogdays777 says:
I am so sorry I defaulted but I have the 10k to pay my loan in full...can someone help me to get this paid?

The loan in question: http://www.prosper.com/lend/listing.aspx?listingID=37340
Status history on ericscc.com: http://www.ericscc.com/listings/37340

Are the JDB people having more luck getting payments than Prosper's own collection agencies?

A clueless newb on the .com forums said she should contact her GL but most here know that HiMax isn't going to be much help.  Any other thoughts?

It is out of Prosper's hands now.  Once a loan is sold to the JDB, neither Prosper nor the lenders have any legal right to payments any longer.  If the borrower really does pay in full, the JDB is going to reap a tidy profit on that one.

Assuming this borrower is telling the truth (and we know that at least one asshat borrower appeared on the old .com forums right after his loan defaulted to rub lenders' noses in it by making a bunch of false claims about Prosper), it really makes one wonder just what happened between December (when the loan was sold off) and now (when the borrower claims to have $10K available to PIF)?  Did the borrower come by a windfall last month, or did the CA never bother to make any effort to collect from the borrower before the loan was sold off?
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

traveler505

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 02:22:07 pm »

The debt is now owed to the junk debt buyer.  It wouldn't surprise me if the JDB's agreement with Prosper states that Prosper has to forward any funds received from her to the JDB.   Otherwise, it would be illegal for Prosper to accept any money from her as repayment on the loan, though she would be free, I suppose, to make a $10K gift to the lenders on top of what she owes to the JDB.  (Yeah, right.)

It surprises me that the JDB hasn't contacted her yet; they're usually quite good at telling people how to pay.  
"Trav, you can always take up another hobby..." -- BigGulp

Now blogging at http://blog.traveler505.com, home of the MNH Reports and other commentary on Prosper.com and P2P lending in general.

Need Help with Credit Repair & Rebuilding?  Try CreditBoards.com.

Mark12547

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 02:35:29 pm »

A thread in the borrower's forum on .com was just pointed out on IRC.

Unfortunately, with the separation of borrowers and lenders on the official forums, there isn't a way for lenders to communicate what we know to borrowers, except by email, but with Prosper being so quick to label such communications "spam" and the user's account about to be suspended any day (Isn't that still the policy for defaulted borrowers?), Prosper's web site is the worst place to try to communicate anything meaningful.

Since "default" in Prosper's terminology means the loan has been sold to a JDB, neither Prosper nor "lenders" have any interest in this loan. Any effort Prosper puts into this loan at this time will have zero benefit to Prosper, zero benefit to Prosper's "lenders", and I doubt that Prosper would be any more informative to the borrowers about contact information on who now holds the debt than they are on letting us "lenders" know who the JDBs are.

You mean like having experience? Like pursuing the legal remedies? Actually putting "In collections" on all three credit reports?

Seriously, though, I don't know the numbers.

Way back when Hi_Max turned off emails from lenders, I checked his listing and he was, well, let's say his credit grade did not inspire confidence. Of course group leaders really don't have that much influence in helping borrowers through Customer Support.

At this point, the borrower basically needs contact information for the JDB, which might come from Prosper (though I really doubt they would disclose that information), from a credit report when the JDB reports, or from someone at the JDB. If the borrower then pays in full, it will be marked in the credit report as "Paid In Collections", which, for scoring purposes, is as bad as not paying, but a number of lenders (not just us on Prosper, but also mortgage companies) would rather see the collections as paid instead of unpaid.

ETA: If the borrower does pay, the borrower should keep copies of the paperwork at least as long as the statute of limitations because, at least occasionally, collection agencies have gone after people after they had already paid a former collection agency on that debt. Having proper paperwork (e.g., a statement of amount owed and a subsequent cancelled check for that amount) can help in such situations.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:39:41 pm by Mark12547 »
Free! I am free from Prosper!

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 07:26:03 pm »

Hmmm... well if she wanted to partially make it up to the lenders, she could tell us who the Junk Debt Buyer is.  Shall we ask?
Lobby permission granted

nonattender

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:43:11 pm »

We need to track down as many defaulted borrowers as possible, be super nice and make friends, and find out who the hell is buying our loans for pennies.

-t
Nothing that I ever say is "professional advice" - principally, because I suffer from an infinitely inescapable prinicipal/agent problem, in that I am, in principle, always acting as my own agent.

Peer-to-Peer Lending & Personal Loan Information

patio11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 03:37:42 am »

Then we need to tell them to stop wasting their money ;)

vsqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 07:52:51 am »

How is a defaulted borrower not completely banned from Prosper in the first place?

I can't see that her account was shut down and if it was, why is she still allowed to post on the forums?
A drunk girl's lips are a sober girl's desire.

Mark12547

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 09:21:46 am »

How is a defaulted borrower not completely banned from Prosper in the first place?

I can't see that her account was shut down and if it was, why is she still allowed to post on the forums?

Those are very good questions. My understanding is also that defaulted borrowers would be suspended, even though that defaulted borrower hasn't been suspended yet. Maybe Prosper is too busy searching for other references to prospers.org that they haven't taken care of those who have defaulted yet.

Shenandoah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 09:40:26 am »

Those are very good questions. My understanding is also that defaulted borrowers would be suspended, even though that defaulted borrower hasn't been suspended yet. Maybe Prosper is too busy searching for other references to prospers.org that they haven't taken care of those who have defaulted yet.

In the Help I see

Borrowers who have defaulted on a loan at Prosper will not be allowed to borrow again on the Prosper marketplace.
http://www.prosper.com/help/topics/borrower-payments_delinquency_fees.aspx

and

Borrowers whose Prosper loans default will have their delinquency and default reported to a credit reporting agency, and will never be able to borrow money on Prosper again in the future.
http://www.prosper.com/help/topics/lender-default_sales.aspx

But I don't see anything about an actual banning.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Mark12547

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 10:05:24 am »

So it looks like they changed the rules again.

mjerryfirst

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 10:43:56 am »

The real issue is under what circumstances does Prosper sell off loans to a junk debt collector?    Once this happens, lenders essentially have lost 90% of the remaining principal.      Thus, selling off to a junk debt collector should be delayed for at least two years.    I suspect that a significant minority of those who fall behind four or more months (I speculate 10-25%) will eventually pay their loans--mostly those who fell behind due to illness or those who can find similar re-employment after an unexpected job loss.
Those who prudently pick borrowers don't need to complain and post about lates, collections and defaults.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 11:05:05 am »

The real issue is under what circumstances does Prosper sell off loans to a junk debt collector?    Once this happens, lenders essentially have lost 90% of the remaining principal.      Thus, selling off to a junk debt collector should be delayed for at least two years.    I suspect that a significant minority of those who fall behind four or more months (I speculate 10-25%) will eventually pay their loans--mostly those who fell behind due to illness or those who can find similar re-employment after an unexpected job loss.

There had been almost a year of non-payment before it was sold to a JDB at the end of the year. For those on the loan, the ability to write it off that year's taxes instead of waiting another 12 months would have outweighed the REMOTE possibility that she was 1. able to pay after a year of non-payment and 2. that she really has the ability to pay now.

ETA - of course, they could have always offered to sell it to someone on the loan like Trav tried to get them to do.

And yes, I'm peeved that a defaulted borrower still has access to P------r at all.
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up