Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Need suggestions - DQ borrower looking for Prosper contact  (Read 21041 times)

NewHorizon

• View Profile
Need suggestions - DQ borrower looking for Prosper contact
« on: September 01, 2008, 02:40:35 pm »

A delinquent borrower contacted me today to see if I might know who she might contact at Prosper. 

But I don't know who she can speak to, so I'm looking for ideas from you folks....?

The jist of her message is that she's left several VMs and e-mails for Tim Bright over the past month or more to get the loan "back on track" and paid off.  But she hasn't gotten any response.  She forwarded to me her latest message to Tim Bright where she noted that earlier, he said he's very busy, and she noted that he said that over a month ago.  She goes on to strongly suggest in that message that he's been very unprofessional with his unresponsiveness.

As an aside, it's hard for me to believe there's anything to this "in-house" collection process at Prosper if they can't even contact the proactive borrowers!

Well anyway, any ideas about who this borrower can contact?  I understand Cameron is often responsive, but he's on the lender side.  For now, I responded to this borrower asking how far she got with the regular customer support folks, and letting her know I'm posing her question to an alternate Prosper forum.

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
Re: Need suggestions - DQ borrower looking for Prosper contact
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 02:49:49 pm »

I would contact at least Cameron and Andrew.  They may not be directly tied to the borrowers, but it sounds like this needs to be escalated and the borrower side isn't getting it done.

Also, nominating this post to The Lobby as it is an extremely telling anecdote of how Prosper seems to be actively refusing to uphold its fiduciary duties to "lenders".
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:00:15 pm by Xenon481 »

big-al

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:53:49 pm »

I take it this is not currently assigned to an outside CA?  If it were, could she try contacting them directly?

Is it possible for you to ask her for information about Prosper's collection attempts, both in and out of house?

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 03:07:45 pm »

I think Tim B. is long gone.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 03:08:13 pm »

And his e-mails aren't bouncing?  ???

Mark12547

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 03:48:37 pm »

This thread has been nominated for The Lobby.

Please provide feedback in For Lobby? Need suggestions - DQ borrower looking for Prosper contact (in Prospers.ORG Suggestions/Comments), not here.

Thank you!

PS: NewHorizon, as the Original Poster, your feedback is especially appreciated!
Free! I am free from Prosper!

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 04:31:03 pm »

PS: NewHorizon, as the Original Poster, your feedback is especially appreciated!

Go for it.  But let me then hastily disclaim for the record that I hadn't contacted this borrower in an effort to collect.  I offered to pass along to other lenders anything about her situation, and I expressed hope that her earlier health problem - which apparently is what put her behind the financial eight ball in the first place - hadn't relapsed.

She replied (this was Feb '08) that she tried to contact Doug Fuller ("DF") to explain her situation, but "to no avail".  I don't know if "to no avail" means she wasn't able to contact DF, or if DF wasn't open to hearing what she had to say.  Meanwhile, she blames her delinquency on unanticipated situations - without giving further details.

I think tomorrow, I'll try to contact Cameron myself.  I'm a lender, and I'm in on this loan, and so it seems to me I'm very much entitled to know the answer to the borrower's question.  I suspect y'all will suggest that I broaden the scope of my questioning.  To be honest, and with apologies, I'm not sure I'm all that motivated to go there.  (But you guys have Cameron's too!)

@ big-al: I'll try to get that info from the borrower.

jmathree

• Donate to St. Jude's at http://www.tg.stjude.org/
    • View Profile
    • Prosperlinks
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 04:37:23 pm »

NH,

I'm not asking you to post the original message from the borrower, but wondering if her correspondence with you included the text of the message from Tim Bright claiming "he's really busy." 

Since late borrowers have been know to stretch the truth, I'd be more inclined to trust the info knowing you saw confirmation.

I still think it's worth discussing in the lobby though.
Due to Prosper's change in policy to allow links to 3rd party discussion forums in user profiles noted in this thread, I have updated  my profile to help Prosper members find discussion forums, blogs, and stats and analysis sites to help them succeed on Prosper.com.

Cushie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 05:10:31 pm »

And his e-mails aren't bouncing?  ???

A lot of companies will keep the email open so they have access in case something needs followed up.  A lot of companies, however, will actually follow up.  With Prosper your mileage may vary.

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 08:11:28 pm »

I'm not asking you to post the original message from the borrower, but wondering if her correspondence with you included the text of the message from Tim Bright claiming "he's really busy." 

She didn't include any text from Tim nor anybody else at Prosper.
But yes, it's certainly prudent to keep in mind that late borrower or no, this is just one person's version of things.

christoofar215

• YO. LIKE MY FRO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 10:19:31 pm »

If her Prosper account is still working, which it seems it is since she's contacting lenders... she can pay any amount she wants to and just do her "own payment plan"

Prosper isn't going to be selling off these loans any time soon, so I would email the borrower and tell her if she is trying to set up some payment arrangement... just forget it and just send in what she can on her own terms.

Prosper will credit your account even if you mail them a paper check for 1 cent.   If she wants to make lump sum payments and avoid the surcharge fees, I think she's dreaming.... I don't think Prosper will waive them.

ducks

• November 24 is Thanksgiving Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 11:27:27 pm »

Yes, I can't understand why she doesn't just make payments. It sounds like she's creating an excuse for herself. Tell her to make a payment.
Predictit.org portfolio (originally invested $100):
$182.47 withdrawn
$141.33 left in PredictIt

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 02:15:50 pm »

The borrower isn't online often, so it took a while to get ahold of additional info from her...

(This loan is in the 4+ month late category, and there's no "In collections" indication on it.)

She said she talked to DF about a year ago trying to work out a new payment plan - like stretch out the loan or lower the interest rate.  She said she did this because that was the advice of debt counselors.  But she said DF wasn't nice and wouldn't agree to any new plan.

She said her account was turned over to a collection agency who called every day which was "quite harassing", and then they messed up her credit.  (I'm resisting the urge to input my own remarks here.)

She then got ahold of Tim Bright who said he'd check with DF.  He came back and said that DF said if she paid "$361 before 120 days, that would keep me away from the Collection Agency".  (Her usual monthly payment is $387.) She got confirmation of this agreement in a short PM from Tim Bright (which she forwarded to me without me asking for it).  She said she paid on the 120th day.  (I think that must have been 5/27/08.)  And she said she been making "small payments" since then.  (I see payments which seem to cover only interest and fees on 7/18/08, 8/4/08, and 8/18/08.)  Tim Bright also mentioned to her (over the phone, I think) that Prosper was looking into perhaps being able to stretch out loans.  So a while back, but after some time had passed, the borrower tried to contact Tim Bright again to see if there's any update on the loan-stretching thing - because she's still interested in doing this.  But he's been unresponsive for a good month or more.  She made it a point to explain to me that she's been most earnest in trying to work out something with Prosper.

She went on to tell me that she's been trying for a long time to get out of a car lease using swapalease.com.  (I've never heard of swapalease.com) To be honest, I sorta glossed over this part of her message.  Borrower, if you're reading this - sorry. 

I explained to the borrower that her listing was funded by a large group of people who agreed to X% for 3 years, and that I thought changing the terms that all these people agreed to (including herself) just isn't the way Prosper is set up to work.  I think she "gets" the complexity of the issue now.

So anyway, today I called Cameron - the first time for me.  My experience with him today was consistent with what's been reported by others - congenial, genuinely listened, and seemed to "get" everything I had to say.

He said that Tim Bright *is* still at Prosper, and that he (Cameron) will see what he can do to get somebody in touch with the borrower.  As to the question of why all of those Emails and VMs to Tim Bright went unanswered all this time, I gathered Cameron didn't know.  Meanwhile, he said he's rather confident that this stretching-out-the-loan isn't in the near future - if it even happens at all.  I got the impression that this was an idea that floated about, but nothing has come of it. 

IMHO: as a lender, I don't like the idea of reworking the loans.  But I think this is more and more a reality in the lending marketplace in this time of sub-prime meltdowns.  So begrudgingly, I'd like to see Prosper find a way to do rework loans too - altho' I wouldn't dare pretend to comprehend the magnitude of the changes that would need to be made.

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 02:21:02 pm »

Link to loan in question?
Lobby permission granted

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 02:24:22 pm »

Finally an incident at Prosper where they did not unilaterally make retroactive changes to the LRA.  Ironically, it was for a borrower trying to keep a loan going (if we are to believe any of this).
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up